The most damaging phrase in the language is “we’ve always done it that way!” Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper
There’s no danger of saying that in the middle of a pandemic now, is there? Frankly, if there’s one positive outcome from the year of Covid-19, it’s all of the creativity and innovation that have come from the fact that we can no longer do what we’ve always done. It’s a year of change, and Red-Carpet Learning is no exception. We’re making some changes moving forward and I thought I’d take some time to share what’s new as well as some coming attractions.
On a personal note, I’m staying close to home. My husband and I are both considered high-risk if we get Covid, so we’re doing our very best to avoid getting sick. Now, if you’re reading this and we are under contract for a speaking engagement or some in-person training, of course, I am going to honor that contract. We’ll figure out the safety precautions together. Other than bookings I already have, however, I’m suspending travel until further notice. Does that mean the end of the Red Carpet Way? Absolutely not! Instead, the red carpet is going virtual!
In order to shift the way we work together, your input is important. I know you’re swamped right now, but if you have (less than) 5 minutes, would you do me a favor? Fill out this speedy three-question survey to help me take my content development in a direction that is relevant for you.
Thanks for your help with that! Note that filling out the survey does not obligate you in any way to work with Red-Carpet. I’m just trying to get a sense of what your most pressing needs might be at this time.
In the meantime, here’s how we could work together RIGHT NOW:
We can work together virtually on almost anything related to your culture and customer service. For instance, right now I’m working with two companies to improve their orientation and onboarding for new employees. In fact, doing it virtually saves you money! So, reach out if you’d like to explore doing some work together in the following areas:
- New Hire Orientation & Onboarding
- Creating Red Carpet Virtual Visits
- Live/Online Customer Service Training for Your Team Members (for instance, I’m working with call center staff!)
- Development of Online Training Programs (related to company culture & customer service.)
- Virtual Motivational Keynote or Program for your Staff
Here’s what Alyssa Gibson, Director of Education for the American Association of Orthopaedic Executives had to say about some work I did for them:
For years, our members have been begging us for a multi-module Customer Service Course tailored specifically to their industry, orthopedic practice management. When we finally decided to take the plunge and begin work on this project, we knew we needed to find a speaker who was engaging, understood our industry, and skilled at course development. We knew it wouldn’t be an easy task.
Through a recommendation, we were connected with Donna. We were instantly impressed with her background and experience and made the decision to hire her to help us develop and deliver this on-demand certificate course. Right away, she began conducting interviews with our members and doing extensive research to understand the industry, even spending a day in one of our member’s orthopedic practices to see and feel their day-to-day experience. We’re an industry with many, many acronyms, and unique terminology and Donna took the time to learn all of these details and nuances so that by the time she was filming the course, you would guess that she had been in the orthopedic industry for years.
In just a matter of weeks, Donna scripted an 11-module course, complete with compelling PowerPoints, knowledge quizzes, and a Learner’s Guide that walks participants through activities to reinforce lessons learned. Because this course was designed for our members to share with their front desk customer service staff, Donna even developed an administrator’s guide with activities for them to do with their staff. The end result was an interactive on-demand course that focuses on active learning. It exceeded even our own high expectations for what this course could be!
I highly recommend Donna if you are looking to “wow” your members or customers with a truly unique and impactful learning experience.
Here are a few things I’m working on this year to be available sometime in the future. (This is where your survey responses will help.)
- Donna On Demand: I’m working on an online training platform that will provide on-demand training for a variety of topics. I’m determined to create something that is interactive, fun to complete, and I’m working on offering Continuing Education Credits for certain professions.
- Red-Carpet Culture College: This is the Live, Interactive, FUN virtual option that will replace our annual conference. (For those of you who registered for this year’s conference, an email is heading your way!) The current plan is to have 3 semesters entailing of one LIVE but Virtual workshop, once a week for three consecutive weeks. Each semester will walk you through topics specific to building a culture of happy, engaged team members who deliver red carpet customer service. For instance, the first semester (tentatively planned for January) will focus on Hiring, Orientation and Onboarding new team members. More details to come – but I am VERY excited about this new offering. Let me know what you think!
- Red-Carpet Road Trip: You might remember that my husband and I were hoping to hit the road for full-time RV living some time in 2020. Well, as you can imagine, our plans have been pushed back just a little bit. However, Jim and I take weekly drives to keep us sane during the pandemic and plan to take road trips together once everything opens up, even before we purchase the RV. I’m learning how to shoot and edit video (be gentle with me, it’s new!) and will be adding some of our adventures to the YouTube channel! Watch the Playlist called “Red-Carpet Road Trip” for new additions, and follow me on Instagram at @redcarpetdonna. Yes, we’re a little off the topic of Red Carpet Customer Service – but it all relates in the long-term plan and it might be fun for you to follow our adventures, so I thought I’d share!
There’s more, but that’s enough for now. This is a challenging time for all of us, for many reasons, but I remain hopeful that we will come through it to the other side, stronger, better, and kinder. If I can be of assistance, please email me at email@example.com.
Donna Cutting is the Founder & CEO of Red-Carpet Learning Systems, Inc. and the author of two books, including 501 Ways to Roll Out the Red Carpet for Your Customers. She lives in Asheville, NC with her husband Jim and their two rescue dogs, Moxie and Tonks. (photo by Treadshots)